Team of the Year
The Team of the Year is awarded at our annual conference each year. The application for the 2020 Team of the Year will be available soon.
The Team of the Year award is the most distinguished honor the Ohio Middle Level Association can bestow upon an interdisciplinary team of middle level teachers to recognize its accomplishments with students and contributions to middle level education. A monetary award of $1,000.00 will be presented to the team to use in any way it chooses.
- The nominator must be a current member of the Ohio Middle Level Association.
- All OMLA members are eligible to nominate a candidate.
- Nominated team members must be OMLA members (individual or part of a building membership).
- Previous recipients may not be nominated. An interdisciplinary team may not receive the award more than once.
- There is no limit to the number of times a team may be nominated (with the exception of a team receiving the award).
- Nominated teaching team’s goals, procedures, and accomplishments must promote the middle school concept and align with research-based best practices that are academically rigorous and developmentally responsive to the needs of young adolescents.
Criteria include, but are not limited to, how the team has done the following:
- Advancement of Middle Level Philosophy in the School and Community.
- Team Building, Identity and Cohesion.
- Integrated/Interdisciplinary Curriculum Planning and Instruction.
- Increased Student Achievement/Growth.
- Demonstrating Flexible use of Time.
- Culture and Community.
- The school organization supports interdisciplinary teaming.
- The nomination must be received by the posted deadline.
- Here is a link to the Scoring Rubric for the OMLA Team of the Year: Team of the Year Scoring Rubric
Awarding the Honor
- A committee of the Ohio Middle Level Association Executive Board members will review all nominations.
- If multiple teams meet the selection criteria on paper, the two or three highest rated will be visited. The highest rated team after visitations will receive the recognition.
- The selected Team of the Year will be recognized at the OMLA annual state conference.
- If no teams meet the selection criteria, the award will not be given.